If you are planning a getaway, your first thought might come up with Hawaii, California, and Florida again. Let your mind wander further, to an exotic land that has numerous beautiful white beaches, heritage, history, culture, and adventure - an awesome land named Thailand. You will never get disappointed in Thailand if you are after the beaches. With over a thousand islands, it takes you a lifetime to explore them all. But of course, you don’t have to do so, pick some of the best and save the rest for your next trips.
If you book a Thailand vacation, make sure don’t miss Krabi - one of the most stunning sceneries with jungle, over 200 islands just off the coast, pristine nature, and idyllic white-sand beaches.
Located on the southwest coast of Thailand, around 800km from Bangkok and 170km from Phuket, the easiest ways to access Krabi are by road and air. There are more than 20 flights per day from Bangkok which get you to Krabi in 1 hour and 20 minutes. You can also fly from Chiang Mai (2 flights per day) and Koh Samui (1 flight per day) to the island. If you don’t like flights, there are direct buses to Krabi from Bangkok, Koh Samui, Hat Yai, Phuket, and Trang.
- November to March: This is a perfect time since the rainy season is over. This island offers the best weather and nature with a blue, clear sky, cool air, and gorgeous beaches. It is also the peak season.
- April to May: These are considered the hottest months in Krabi just before the monsoon hits Thailand with high humidity.
- June to October: This is considered the wettest time in Krabi but continuous days of heavy rainfall are rare. While the weather is hot, humid, and rainy, the prices are low, making this one the cheapest time to plan a trip.
There are reasons why Krabi has been voted one the best destinations for beach-stay in Thailand for years: This island boasts its beautiful scenery of limestone karsts, coral reefs, and spectacular beaches. For a couple, it provides an unforgettable experience. Whether you come to rekindle a relationship, mark its longevity, or celebrate a new chapter, Krabi will not fail you.
What is more romantic than sipping cocktails while watching the sun going down, dyeing the horizon with its vivid color? Krabi offers an opportunity for lovers to view the spectacular sunset from a traditional longtail boat. The vessel will also stop at one or two dive spots for you to explore the marine life under crystal clear water.
Kayaking is a wonderful way to explore Krabi’s astonishing scenery when the thin boats move through coastal ecosystems, canyons, and caves. You can choose either Ao Thalane (with narrow canals of blue-green water, surrounded by mangroves on both sides), Bor Thor (ancient limestones caves), or Kor Hong (an island with a secret lagoon at its center).
Just like many other big Thailand towns, Krabi has a night market that opens every Friday to Sunday. Stroll along more than 70 food stalls to taste delicious street food and coconut ice cream. Here is a good place to buy souvenirs to bring home, too. Handicrafts, clothing, jewelry, and accessories are sold through the market. There are also performances from street artists, bands, and dance groups.
Railay (or Railey) is a mainland peninsula that is accessible only by boat because three of its sides are surrounded by the sea while the rest is backed by stunning limestone cliffs that cut it off from all roads. Railay, without a doubt, boasts the most world-class beaches with white sand, emerald green water, palm trees, and a backdrop of rugged rocks. If you want to really get away together, this might be the perfect place for your couple.
Head to the south 70km from the town, and you’ll see natural hot springs located in the jungle. The mineral-rich water here comes from thermal springs, originating deep underground in volcanic chambers. The water temperature is at a pleasant 35-42 Celsius degree which is perfect for soaking and relaxing. What can be better for your health and mind than lazing in a hot water up to your chin and watching the clouds go by? For more private, you can go to some Spa centers which offer a spa and hot spring on their property. These places are not so far from the natural hot spring waterfall.
A visit to the Hot Springs would not be complete without a trip to the nearby ‘Emerald Pool’ at the Natural Park. This is one of the top attractions every traveler should do in Krabi. You will have to get through the Khao Nor Chu Chi forest and pass by a series of mini-pools, waterfalls, tropical trees, and streams to reach the pool. This is not a hot spring but cool and clear water that is just heaven to swim in.
Don’t visit Railay without trying your hand at rock climbing. Climbing Mecca attracts climbers from over the world to adventure. If you are a beginner, this peninsular offers training courses (from a full day to 3 days course) to give you the confidence to take that risk. No special skills are required other than the willingness to do it.
I don’t find anything more intimate than a couple of massages. Settings vary from air-conditioned indoor sanctuaries to warm-scented tropical gardens, Spa centers in Krabi provide a welcome escape to couples. A 2-hour traditional Thai massage session will rejuvenate your body and soothe your soul. It's easy to find a nice spa that provides a full-service for couples.
If you are looking for some nightlife and an exciting atmosphere, Ao Nang Beach is a good place to start. There are many lively bars selling delicious cocktails and playing good music, making it hard to stand still but start to shake. Ao Nang Center Point is the best-loved nightspot, you can also try Luna Bar, Klinky Beach Bar, Sabina Nightclub, and Full Moon Bar. For a more sophisticated evening, visit the Last Fisherman Bar or the Hilltop.
One of the activities that you shouldn’t miss is taking the Four Island Tour. You are transferred to 4 different islands (mostly Koh Poga, Koh Gai or Chicken Island, Koh Tub, and Koh Mor) on a longtail boat and will stop at each location for your swimming in the turquoise water, sunbathing, and have lunch on the most beautiful beaches in Krabi. For the couple who love snorkeling, the boat will stop at some of the open water snorkeling sites for your interest.
Here are some ideas to make you the most of the 7 days of staying in Krabi. Contact us if you want to ask more about activities in Krabi or how to combine it with other destinations in Thailand.
- Day 1: Transfer to Krabi. Check-in to relax and discover the neighborhood around your hotel.
- Day 2: Tour Ao Nang and the other islands. Ao Nang offers everything from pizza to sushi and the friendly nightlife is worth hanging around for.
- Day 3: Visit the forest temple at Tiger Cave and climb the 1260 stairs to the mountain-top shrine to have a 360-degree view. For the rest of the day, you can go shopping and try local food in the town.
- Day 4: Trek the Khao Pra-Bang Khram Nature Reserve. The forest has many walking trails that lead you to a crystal-clear pool for swimming and the perfect natural jacuzzi at the hot springs.
- Day 5: Day trip to Hong Island which boasts spectacular beaches, cool wildlife, and a hidden lagoon. You can spend all day long here swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, and watching the sunset. Or you can choose Railey for rock climbing instead.
- Day 6: Kayaking to explore the mangrove and cave as well as to spot birds, monkeys, and lizards up close. If kayaking makes you tired, you can enjoy a massage in the late afternoon.
- Day 7: Take time out to do some shopping or visit the weekend night market in town to sample the best street food in Krabi.