We might not need to talk more how beautiful the beaches of Koh Samui are, they are famous worldwide. Besides beach activities such as scuba diving, surfing, swimming,... Koh Samui holidays are about eating: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Cafe or anytime you want to grab something to eat. This island’s food options have something for everyone. So good news is you won’t starve in Koh Samui. But the bad news is you might get FAT. It’s a common joke that Thai food is the same anywhere either it is served in a high-end restaurant or a simple stall by a side of the road. True or not, the dishes on this island have their own taste and just good. Book a trip to Thailand, then head to Koh Samui and verify that on your own.
Street food is something you need to try in Thailand, as in Koh Samui. Thai people don’t just eat three meals a day like the rest of the world, they eat little and often throughout the day. That is the reason why street food is so popular in Thailand. You can get something to eat anytime you want and anywhere at a reasonable price.
This noodle soup is the favourite dish of many people. Its broth is made with chicken, beef or pork. There is two type of noodle: flat and wiry and 4 kinds of meat: chicken, beef, pork or seafood for your option. Vegetables are added too and the bowl is spiced up with chilli, fish sauce, white vinegar and other condiments according to your taste. A bowl of Kway Tiao costs from 30 baht to 80 baht depends on the restaurant.
A bowl of delicious Kway Tiao costs only from 30 baht to 80 baht
Originated from Indonesia, chicken satay can make you go crazy. The meat is soaked in turmeric which gives it a special yellow colour before being grilled on charcoal. Chicken Satay is served with peanut sauce, very delicious to eat and it is sold as low as 10 baht per skewer. Other options are beef, pork and even fish.
Chicken Satay is served with peanut sauce. If you don't like chicken, you can order beef or pork Satay (Image by Huahom from Pixabay)
Pad Thai or Phad Thai is listed at number 5 on the list of World's 50 most delicious foods readers' poll compiled by CNN Go in 2011, so this is an unmissable dish when you are in Thailand or Koh Samui. To make Pad Thai, fried rice noodles are soaked then stir-fried with egg, fish sauce, tamarind sauce, lime, garlic, red chilli pepper, dried fish, tofu, bean sprout and topped with chopped roasted peanut. Pad Thai is served on a plate with shrimp, chicken or pork and costs around 40-80 baht per plate. It’s simply excellent.
Pad Thai is listed at number 5 on the list of World's 50 most delicious foods readers' poll compiled by CNN Go Pad Thai
Khao Mok Kai or chicken rice is a delicious, must-try rice dish. The chicken is bathed in curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander and chilli powder. The rice is cooked slowly with oil, turmeric and garlic powder to ensure the spices soak deeply into rice. A plate of Khao Mok Gai is served with a sweet chilli sauce, sliced cucumber and a small bowl of clear chicken broth. An incredible blend of spices with rice and chicken cooked to perfection. It cost around 30-50 baht per portion.
Barbecued meat, fish or seafood skewers are a popular street food that you can find anywhere in Thailand. From chicken to squid, they are sold at 10 to 20 baht per skewer. It’s simply flavourful and easy to enjoy while walking around on the street.
You can buy a skewer with only 10 baht. It's easy to enjoy while walking around on the street
Thai Pancake is a hit of street food and an enjoyment for those who have a sweet tooth. It’s easy to make with egg, condensed milk, sliced banana, jam, sugar, coconut and can be eaten any time of the day. This fun and tasty pancake costs between 20 and 50 baht.
Thai Pancake is fun to make and tasty
There are so many tasting fruits you can sample in Koh Samui. The most delicious on this island are mangoes, pineapple, watermelon, rambutan, dragonfruit, and pomelo. These nutritious and healthy desserts are affordable because they are all homegrown.
There are so many tropical fruits for you to try in Koh Samui
Despite the low price (from 70 to 100 baht), these street cocktails are as good as they are served in nice bars. The only thing is you will get a Mojito or Tequila in a plastic cup but who cares when they are so good to drink.
Koh Samui attracts a large number of visitors to its beautiful tropical beaches as well as its lively nightlife, so no surprise when you can find the cuisine around the world gathering here to please gourmands. If you don’t like street food or you have had it enough in Bangkok, Koh Samui has many trendy restaurants for your interest.
- Crystal Bay Beach Club, Ao Thongtakian: If you want to have lunch or dinner on the beach, this Club is where you should go. You can hear the waves lapping when you are enjoying the amazing dishes.
- Hemingway's on the Beach, Baan Taling-Ngam, Thong Krut: Fresh food, good vibes, beautiful view of the sea, you won’t find anything to complain about this place.
- Supattra Thai Dining, Bangrak: The passionate staffs of the restaurant will explain to you all of the Thai dishes on the menu: how they’re cooked, what they tasted like and what each dish is served with before you order. This is a wonderful experience with good food.
If one morning you wake up and you need a break from Thai food, Koh Samui has dozens of options for the finest global cuisines which will not make you disappointed.
- Zico’s, Chaweng, at Centara Grand Beach Resort: is an ideal place for meat lovers. You will be served skewer after skewer of all types of meat and sausages on your table. The Wagyu beef, chicken thighs, and the lamb bone chops are particularly impressive.
- The Boudoir, Soi 1 Mae Nam: If you’re a fan of French cuisine, you shouldn’t miss this hidden gem. The decor is cozy and nice with comfy sofas and large arm-chairs, the food is to die for and the wine is really good.
- Chez Francois. Fisherman's Village: This restaurant is a quiet little gem amongst the hustle of Fisherman's Village at Bophut. All the food are fresh, tasty and well presented. No surprise that this restaurant is a favourite of everyone.
- Giulietta e Romeo, North Chaweng, Chaweng: The restaurant is quiet and elegant, perfect for a romantic dinner. It has a good selection of Italian wine, simple authentic Italian cuisine. Some people said this place is better than most of the Italian restaurant you find in Italy. - Pasta House, Chaweng Beach Road: Pasta House is a nice break from Thai food if you’re looking for Italian. Delicious pasta is cooked right in front of you. You will enjoy one of the best dishes for vegetarian pasta.
- Noori India, Chaweng Beach Road: If you looking for homestyle Indian food, Noori is the perfect place. The curries are delicious and the staffs are friendly and helpful.
- Live India, Hat Lamai Road: This restaurant definitely gives you an authentic Indian experience. The staffs are very friendly, make you feel at home where your mother cook for you. They will ask how spicy you want your dish and make it perfect.
Featured Tours including Koh Samui
Koh Samui is featured in several tours in Exotic Voyages but the best tour is Island Hopping tour. This adventure will take you to Thailand’s stunning beach-side spots, where you’ll be blown away by serene island scenes! You’ll also get to head to Bangkok where you can find endless fun to be had here. This trip is the perfect way to discover Thailand! Find it interesting? Talk with our expert right now to design one tour including Koh Samui.